For applicants currently residing in japan
Already living in Japan? Looking to stay longer or move to a more flexible teaching position? Our domestic recruiting channel is for applicants currently residing in Japan – scroll down for current vacancies. If you are outside the country and do not have firm plans to arrive within the next 30 days, please refer to the overseas recruiting page.
For applicants with a valid working visa
If you have a valid visa that allows you to teach in Japan already, you are eligible to apply for the openings listed below. Please be ready to provide information on your current visa status during the recruiting process.
For applicants seeking Gaba visa sponsorship
We are now accepting applications for positions starting in Kanto in June 2017 and beyond for exceptional applicants. Please be sure to review Gaba’s requirements for visa sponsorship prior to applying. Unfortunately we are not accepting applications in our other regions currently for those who require visa sponsorship.
After signing a contract with Gaba, successful candidates will be asked to attend a three-day Initial Certification session. Completion of Initial Certification is required before teaching in the Learning Studios. Please check that you are available for at least one of the Initial Certification sessions listed for the area you are applying for.
We are currently accepting applications for the following locations:
Shibuya, Akasaka, Tokyo, Ginza, Ikebukuro
Available Start Dates: May & June 2017
Initial Certification Dates:
Tuesday, May 16th – Thursday, May 18th
Tuesday, May 23rd – Thursday, May 25th
Saturday, June 3rd – Monday, June 5th
Tuesday, June 13th – Thursday, June 15th
Tuesday, June 20th – Thursday, June 22nd
Umeda, Namba, Tennoji
Available Start Dates: June 2017
Initial Certification Dates:
Tuesday, June 6th – Thursday, June 8th
*Please note that the openings listed are not fixed and may be subject to change.
*Learning Studio placement will be discussed with applicants during the interviews.
For all applicants:
- Must have a fluent command of English (both spoken and written)
- Must commit to at least one full six-month contract term
- Must be available to attend three-day Initial Certification in full
- Must be proficient using a computer
For applicants seeking Gaba visa sponsorship:
Gaba can provide a Specialist in Humanities/International Services visa which typically has a duration of one year for first-time holders.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree (or above) from an accredited university where English was the medium of instruction OR three years of verifiable full-time ESL teaching experience
- Newly sponsored instructors should be available to teach with Gaba for the duration of the initial visa
- Must meet the minimum earning requirements of 250,000 yen per month
- Must have a minimum of 60 days remaining on their current visa
- Must show proof of enrollment in National Health Insurance at time of contract signing
Preferred applicants will have:
- A university degree
- CELTA, TEFL or TESOL certification
- Prior ESL/EFL teaching experience
- Experience working in a corporate setting
- Commutes of less than 45 minutes or 450 yen to a Learning Studio with an open position
- Availability during peak hours of operation
Depending on your current visa status, there may be additional requirements. Please refer to the visa information page for specifics.
The following description is of the application process for those applying from within Japan. There are four stages to complete before teaching; the time involved will depend on the specific circumstances of the individual applicant.
1. Application stage
- Online application
- Telephone pre-interview
2. Interview stage
- Information seminar and first interview
- Second Interview
3. Contracting stage
- Contract offer
- Visa processing (if necessary)
4. Teaching certification stage
- Initial Certification (3 days)
- On-the-Job Certification