Cities in Kanto
Thinking of Tokyo as a collection of smaller towns makes it a more manageable place. Major hubs like Shinjuku and Shibuya are only 15 minutes from quieter areas like Nezu and Jiyugaoka, full of little shops and restaurants to while away an afternoon. Omotesando and Ginza are great for shopping, Roppongi has plenty of entertainment and nightlife, and Akihabara is where to go for all things electronic. Tokyo really has something for everyone.
Tokyo is known for being one of the world’s most expensive cities, but it can be surprisingly affordable – most instructors teaching steadily have no problem covering monthly expenses while still having enough money left over to pay down student loans, shop, sightsee, or take up a hobby. Keep in mind that like New York or London, the sky is the limit for luxury goods; it’s your lifestyle that determines whether Tokyo is affordable or not!
Just a half hour south of Tokyo, this port city has a very international flavor. Home to Japan’s largest Chinatown, there are great ethnic shops and restaurants. Visit the historic neighborhoods of Ishigaki-cho and Yamate. The Minatomirai district is the modern waterfront area.
Kamakura is an ancient capital just south of Yokohama. This cozy beachside community is worth regular visits, particularly in the summer!
Chiba & Saitama
The long peninsula that rims the east side of Tokyo Bay is all part of Chiba prefecture. Just a short commute from Tokyo proper, Chiba is a combination of bustling industry and more traditional Japanese culture. During the summer, many venture to the beaches along the Pacific coast for sun and some of Japan’s best surfing. Of course, we mustn’t forget Tokyo Disney Resort and Makuhari Messe, the venue where are all the biggest concerts are held!
Due north of Tokyo is Saitama prefecture. Like Chiba, it has a more relaxed feel compared to that of Tokyo while still being closely connected to the metropolis. With great access to the mountains and winter sports of Nagano and Niigata, it’s the best of both worlds. Applicants excited by the prospect of experiencing Tokyo but doing so on a more reasonable budget should consider either Chiba or Saitama!
Getting Around Kanto
Smart Cards and Commuter Passes
Kanto has its own smart card system. A single card can be used for trains, subways/metro, buses, and even convenience stores. You can purchase a card at a ticket machine at any train station. Likewise, you can recharge the card at any point. For frequent trips between two stops like home and the Learning Studio, the card can be upgraded to serve as your commuter pass.
* Not all public transportation will accept the smart card. It is always best to carry some change in case the smart card is not accepted.
Housing in Kanto
- Live with Japanese housemates
- Houses (6-9 bedrooms) located in Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto
- Furnished rooms available
- Special discounts for Gaba instructors
- 1700+ furnished apartments, share-house rooms, and dormitories in Tokyo and surroundings
- Easy reservation and check-in process, multilingual staff and maintenance team
- Deposit discounted for Gaba instructors, monthly rent is all inclusive (utilities, internet, etc.)
- 5000+ apartments and guesthouses in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, and Chiba
- Furnished rooms available
- Friendly English-speaking staff
- Special discount for Gaba instructors
- 260+ locations with 3800+ furnished apartments and share-house rooms in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama and Chiba
- No key money or guarantor fees; simple reservation process
- Multilingual staff and house managers assist you from room search to move-in
- Discount on first month's rent for Gaba instructors
- Guesthouses in Kanto and Kansai (Osaka and Hyogo)
- English speaking estate agents available for private apartment searches
- Discount on first month's rent or estate agent fees available for Gaba instructors
- Reservation agency for UR (public) housing
- Full English support for room viewing, contract explanation, and setting up utilities
- Assistance available for furnishing your new apartment (secondhand furniture and appliances)
- Special discount for Gaba instructors (*Contact Gaba Instructor Recruiting for discount details)